Thursday, October 29, 2009

YUMMY!

Nothing is better than soup on a cold Fall night! This is my favorite soup, it is an adaptation of traditional tortilla soup. I make it with vegan "chicken" strips and soy cheese. If you didn't know that it wasn't traditional tortilla soup, you would not be able to tell by the taste. Just ask my husband who unlike me, still enjoys real meat. This night I made it with homemade corn chips. The Gurranimals LOVE homemade chips!

Here is my recipe if you are interested. Keep in mind, I cook crazy. I don't measure anything...ever. Well, with the exception of when I am baking. So all of the ingredients are added to taste.
One package of Morningstar "Chicken" Strips
onion
garlic
celery
cilantro
bell peppers (I like to use red, yellow, & green)
2 cubes of Knorr vegetable broth cubes
olive oil
cumin
coriander
1 can of corn or hominy
smashed corn tortilla chips

In your stockpot add olive oil & cook your garlic, onion, celery & bell peppers until your onions are translucent. Add the bag of "chicken" strips and brown them slightly. Add about 6 cups of water, the vegetable cubes, & the corn or hominy. Season with cumin, coriander and cilantro. Simmer until heated thoroughly. Add your smashed tortilla chips just before serving. Garnish with soy cheese & soy sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment